Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Lazy" Days of Fall

Every time I go out to visit with the sheep, it's so relaxing. It's pretty quiet in the sheep pens. The weekly moves are discontinued, no one needs halter training, all the tags are in for the year, and the sheep mostly lay around the feeding area.

"Lazy" is misleading, though. "On the list" are putting the breeding groups together, preparing for LAI, arranging for driveway, water, septic and electricity at ERN, shearing a few more animals, foot care for the flock, cleaning out the barns, getting hay stored for the winter, spreading hog fuel and gravel in the muddy spots, daily feeding and water, sending fleeces out to customers and for processing, fibery projects and getting to know my new loom. Club activities: running the agility trials in 2 weeks, getting the Gotland association registry up and running, finding willing candidates for the Labrador Retriever club Board, and pre-planning for the 2010 Welsh Springer National Specialty. All too often, at the bottom of the list is spending time with the dogs, doing dishes and laundry - ugh! I know why those last two are at the bottom of the list.

Whew! I think I'll go sit with the ewes for a while, then play with Clifford. ...after all, I'm Retired. :-)

- Franna

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Oooo...what new loom, Franna? :)

Franna said...

Ahhhh... the new-to-me 48" weaving width 4 shaft loom sitting in the living room. It's the one that I'm planning to make LOTR style cloaks on. :-) ...once I learn to weave, that is.
- Franna

Franna said...

...I had to look. It's a Herald Loom, discontinued 20 or so years ago. I was looking at the bench today. Someone really abused it... nails all over, glued down carpet seat, a couple cracks in the wood, missing the floor of the storage space. Not anything a little work with a sander, filler and glue won't fix. I think I'll weave a cushion for the top. ;-)
- Franna