Sunday, February 24, 2008

You Scream, I Scream...

This afternoon, I had a craving for ice cream. I didn't want to go to the grocery store for some overpriced (but delicious!) ice cream in limited flavors. Limited because I don't eat soy products and the great majority of ice cream has soy something in it.

Sooooo, I've been hoarding several gallons of sheep milk since July, packed in 4 cup Ziplocs. Through the CSA, we've been getting quarts of frozen blueberries each week. hmmmmmm, what about blueberry ice cream!

A quick look on Google gave me a simple recipe to play with. This is what I came up with:

1 quart blueberries
just a little water
1 cup white sugar (more or less depending on your taste)
1 quart Sheep milk (8+ % butterfat!!!)

Put the blueberries, water and sugar in a saucepan and cook until soft and a little thickened, 10 minutes or so. Add the frozen milk. This cooled the hot blueberries - actually the blueberries weren't hot enough to thaw the whole quart, so it went through a couple microwave cycles to thaw it. The idea is to get it as cold as possible before putting it in the ice cream machine.

I have an old Waring Ice Cream Parlor ice cream maker. It hasn't been used in years, but worked like a charm right out of the box. (I even found it without taking the kitchen apart!)

Follow directions for the Ice Cream maker and freeze the mixture. Eat! Put the remainder in the freezer. It's easier to eat if you microwave it a little straight out of the freezer, especially if your freezer is really cold.

YUM!
- Franna

2 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Hi Franna, do you remember me? Cary at Serenity Farms in Michigan ;)

Thank you for sharing the sheeps milk ice cream...what a great idea! And, your puppy looks just adorable ;D

I had fun looking through your blog, take care ~ Cary

Franna said...

Hi Cary! Of course I remember you. :-) I'm still spinning some of Hannah's fleece - started the bugs in the garden Pi with it, spinning in bits of colored mohair. It really looks nice - and will look nicer once it's not a UFO.
I hope all is well with you and your farm.
- Franna