Friday, December 12, 2008

Living Nativity - Part 1

Well, we made it! In the teeth of the first (almost) winter storm, Lini, Astrid and I made the 40 minute trek to Burien and the Highline Christian Church. Lini and Astrid are stars and I got wet. (My Shetland sweater, hat and wool socks kept me fairly warm through the 2 1/2 hours and 4 performances in the rain, snow and wind.)

The Nativity was very well set up. They had an "Inn", the stable (of course!) and heavenly clouds (for the Angel appearing to the shepherds), plus the Star suspended from a crane above the stable. The set was against a hillside, so you could almost forget you were in suburbia. Costumes were wonderful from the shepherds in fleece and robes, to the wise men all royal and sparkly (leading regal llamas) and Mary (actually due in 2 weeks!) and Joseph leading the donkey, the henpecked innkeeper. A couple of goats rounded out the livestock.

The Shepherds who led Lini and Astrid were very good with them (and felt oh! so special that they got to lead the sheep!) The two Shetlands garnered many comments and led like troopers, baaing at appropriate intervals. Of course, the real star of the show was the baby Jesus, who took all the fussing and weather rather well. I think I heard there were 3 babies who rotated the part, from 6 weeks old to 3 months old.

The narration was recorded and Carols played a large part in the play. Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem, We Three Kings, among others.

It was very touching. It hit that Christian place within me that doesn't come out too often. I found myself humming along with the Carols and getting misty eyed with the enactment. He lived and died to save us. Let's keep the Christ in Christmas, folks.

And, can you believe it??? I forgot my camera. Both my camera and video camera. And it's snowing. Our hill can get really treacherous in the snow and ice, and my pickup doesn't do slippery well. Well, one of the last things the pastor said was that the show would go on through rain or snow or sleet or hail. Wish us luck.

- Franna

1 comment:

Donna said...

Wow! It sounds lovely- too bad I missed it and you forgot your camera to show it to us.